Monday, June 17, 2019

I was planning on updating on our new RV and our moving into it but I have decided to put that off a little longer. Last week a very special person in my life past on, I want to take this time to remember him and the others who have played a significant part in my life. Uncle Bill Meyer means so much to me, he, Aunt Kay, my mom, and my dad are the reasons I am and have always wanted to "take to the road in an RV. Uncle Bill was my dad's best friend since I do believe sometime in their teen years and throughout their lives. It is with the Meyer's we went camping every summer, had many Sunday dinners, picnics, BBQs, sleepovers, etc. Uncle Bill and Aunt Kay were not blood relatives, but the relationship between the families was so strong they earned the honorary title. They were Aunt & Uncle, their children are my cousins and dear friends, heck, even we and their cousins call each other cousins. They are and always will be Family.
 As I mentioned, we traveled and camped most of the summer together every year well into my teen years. My folks and Aunt Kay & Uncle Bill continued to camp together many years after that. The love of nature and the great outdoors was a constant in my life because of this. They taught me the plants, animals, fishing, and how to have fun just being outside. I hold each and every trip in my memories. 
  I do chuckle sometimes wondering if Uncle Bill actually knew my name. I was Pumpkin, Cookie, Kid. All precious pet names, not sure if he every called me Teri LOL. But my goodness did we travel. All up and down the East Coast, from Maine to Florida. The memories I have: Bears in Blue Ridge Parkway, the freezing waters of Maine, Kon Tiki Beach Campground in Florida and of course, Delaware. That's were the four settled with the campers when they decided not to do as much travel. Holiday Park, Lewis, De. Many a day and evening at Rehoboth Beach. Campfires, eating crabs, out on the boat. I could go on and on. 
 He was the last of the foursome, he will be missed. Now as I embark on this wonderful new phase of my life I dedicate it to them. Mom, Dad, Aunt Kay, Uncle Bill, I thank you for all you taught me, I thank you for installing the love of adventure and travel, I thank you for all the wonderful experiences and places I was able to have and to see because of you, I thank you for being there for me. I will take you and my memories with me as I travel across this great country knowing your love will always surround me. I know you will hear me when I point out the many wonders and I know you stand proud knowing how much you influenced my life.  I love you always. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful dedication to Uncle Bill and Aunt Kay and your parents. I have been fortunate too have this kind of family here in Georgia, it is certainly a privilege to "pick" your family.
    It has been a privilege to be in my family as well. Aunt Kay taught me a lot about what family looks like the through the years, she was a nurturing loving person, as was your Mom. I will never forget the last time I got to see her.
    The Uncles, your as well as Uncle Bill always treated kids the same. If they were not happy with one-they taught the lesson to all involved, if they were joking with one, they joked with all around.
    It was certainly one of the best fammily-freindship relationships.
    We are all better for being cousins forever from their example of love. They are all missed❤

    ReplyDelete

And Our Next Great Adventure Begins!

 Well, it certainly has been a while since I wrote anything here, and a lot has happened. As I mentioned in my last post, we had decided to ...